Make it easy for practices to employ you. - Our top tips on getting the job and being asked back!
MAKE IT EASY FOR PRACTICES TO EMPLOY YOU. – OUR TOP TIPS ON GETTING THE JOB AND BEING ASKED BACK!
1. Getting the job:
“We want to know that we can count on that locum to fill that session”
- Be easy to contact by phone and be responsive to e-mail, if you are working when a practice calls you, make sure you get back to them “I sometimes text people back if I’m in the middle of surgery, at least they know I got their message” (Peter locum GP in Fife)
- Be definite, a definite ‘yes’ or ‘no’ about whether you will take the job, and make sure the practice manager has understood that
- Confirm bookings by letter or email after the phone conversation, confirming the times, dates and rates to eliminate any misunderstandings
Clarify what is required –will you need to do home visits / telephone consultations / respond to incoming clinical mail for example?
2. Being asked back:
- Be reliable – never cancel a booking
- Be punctual, arrive early and be ready to start
- Maintain your reputation by getting feedback
- Be organised
- Bring your own kit (Jamal, Locum from London tells us: “I always have on me an Ophthalmoscope, batteries and a memory stick with important leaflets such as Family planning/contraception, DVLA fitness to drive certificate and fitness to fly certificate, that way I can print them so I don’t have to find them”
- Leave no loose ends
- Clue yourself up – Sally, Practice manager from Durham advises “if you don’t know the IT system, get there 10 minutes early to get briefed”